vrijdag 4 maart 2011

Rainy weekend for Chantal


It’s not always sunny in the life of an ultrarunner, litterally speaking. If you ask me, it started raining on Friday night and it was raining cats en dogs ever since. For Sunday I had planned an endurance run of 50 km. Because Jacomina couldn't make it due to circumstances, Hanke joint me on the atb. Saturday we went already to Velp and spend the night in a nice B&B. Sunday we got up very early and left before sunset for our planned run on the Veluwezoom. The Veluwezoom is one of the largest nature areas of the Netherlands and is property of Natuurmonumenten (The Dutch association for the preservation of nature) and it’s splendid! It contains an atb-route of 50 km. 

When you leave early there are allmost no atb-ers on the route and it’s great to run there. The parcours is quite technical and heavy because of the elevation gain! The rain of the previous days did not help either and at some points it was a real mud bath!


I stopped twice to tie my laces firmly because I was afraid I would loose them in the mud! It was hard work, climbing and sliding through the mud and within an hour my legs felt as if I had already run a whole marathon! It also took us some time before we did find out how the atb-route-system worked, but it was a great run! 


Only after more then 2,5 hours it became more busy on the route and at one moment I got almost run over by an atb-cyclist which made me fall. Grmbl@#!! *#!! Fortunately I fell on my hands (ow!). Eventually I did run for about 5 hours and felt tired but satisfied afterwards. As a reward for all our efforts we went to eat some poffertjes (Dutch treat!) at the Bezoekerscentrum.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten